Biotech

Is CRISPR Therapeutics going to revolutionize biomedicine and the way we cure diseases? :dna: :woman_health_worker: :man_health_worker:

Ark Invest is very dedicated to exploring and explain these disruptive technologies. Genomics and genome editing is going to disrupt the healthcare sector by providing a cure for multiple diseases including diabetes and cancer and other rarer genetic diseases. My take is in 20 years we will have a lot more data on DNA to improve the quality of human life.

2 Likes

I certainly hope so! The unfortunate thing is that many of the big pharmaceutical companies already have the ability to cure or drastically reduce the damage of some of the worlds worst diseases. Unfortunately these companies don’t release them as they haven’t figured out a way to monetise them quite like the solutions we have available to us today. Big business is not in the business of reducing their revenues after all :wink:

It will be interesting to see if the pharmaceutical space see’s a disruption like the financial services industry in the next few decades. It has a lot of similarities in my eyes and as long as the disruptive technologies are tested and safe, there’s a market there ripe for the picking!

1 Like

Really interesting topic! :nerd_face:

One of the stocks I own in this space is Abbott Laboratories spinoff company called AbbVie, they’re a biotech company that focuses on curing diseases in immunology, oncology, neurology and vitality - they’ve released their Q4 2019 results and have demonstrated 5 years of double digit earnings growth - earnings overview below:

https://www.abbvie.com/our-company/our-growth-story.html

Agreed with @MitchKerr, some cures are not ‘profitable’ to be released, there’s a really interesting article on this - link below:

Agreed with you @AfonsoCasanova, genomics and genome editing is going to play a significant role in the healthcare sector.

For those reading this that are new to genome editing, there are two key types, somatic and germline.

Somatic gene therapies involve modifying a patient’s DNA to treat or cure a disease caused by a genetic mutation. In one clinical trial, for example, scientists take blood stem cells from a patient, use CRISPR techniques (a technique that means the genomes (DNA) of living organisms may be modified) to correct the genetic mutation causing them to produce defective blood cells. They then infuse the ‘corrected’ cells back into the patient, where they produce healthy blood. Somatic gene therapies like this are not affecting a patients reproductive system ie. it’s not passed on to future generations.

The germline editing however, affects all the cells in the organism, meaning it affects the cells in the reproductive systems of both men and women, so the generic modifications are passed on to future generations. There’s not enough data to show the possible consequences of this type of genetic modification.

Societal and ethical questions have been raised around what DNA editing means. It will be interesting to see how this plays out :popcorn:

1 Like